Saturday, August 19, 2006

Salam from Mandy

Salam! (one of the few words I know in Arabic, though I'm learning) I am sitting here with Doug trying to load our pictures on to Snapfish, which is proving much more difficult than usual. I also struggled with emailing earlier this morning. Things just move a bit slower here. We don't experience the convenience of living in the states. However, it is making me appreciate the little things that I often take for granted, such as boiling water in less than 25 minutes. I am so incredibly grateful for a smooth transition overall here. The apartment is amazing, (see photos!) people are very hospitable and helpful, and we've learned which shops to go to for food, clothing, etc. We feel very appreciated and needed. I visited my classroom this morning and have been looking through curriculum guides for many subjects as I sit here waiting for email and Snapfish to load. I know there's a challenge ahead, but Hey!they have curriculum guides and teacher/student resources to use! (very very helpful) Miss Grace, the elementary principal, is at my side for whatever materials and resources I may need. God is GOOD!(all the time) Orientation starts Monday. School starts a week from Monday. Lots to do before then! I'm very excited to meet the children. I saw erased notes to Miss Linda, the former fourth grade teacher, on the whiteboard this morning. There were lots of hearts and the word "love." Great sign!

I am still in awe of the view from our windows. From one window, we face Beit Jala and from the other we view Bethlehem (and looking down the courtyard of the school where kids play basketball at night and call for "Mr. Doug!") That will take some getting used to. We'll be sure to send pictures of our window views soon.

Yesterday we visited Josh and Lauren Tilton. (Doug's college roommate at Gordon) They are studying at Hebrew University. It was awesome to see familiar faces! We enjoyed BBQing with them in their house in Eastern Jerusalem and then trekking to the Old City of Jerusalem. Josh and Doug were reminiscing and pointing out sites to me. I just enjoyed listening to them and taking in the views that I had only heard about or seen in books. Doug had told me earlier that he couldn't wait to walk through Jaffa Gate (Western side of city), and I have never seen him look as happy as he did walking through that gate! (except for our wedding, of course) It was a moment we had been looking forward to, and it was so special! Then we took off and visited Sulliman (Solomon), a friend Doug had made when he lived here in 2001.(In fact Doug's picture was up on a wall in Sulliman's shop taken in 2001) There are pictures of Sulliman's new apartment that he was very proud of showing us. After that, we went to Shaban's market shop and money changing shop. Doug and Josh were friendly with him, and Josh recommended we get our money changed over at Shaban's. Again, a very helpful tip.
We didn't have time to see other sites; that will be another day! It was neat to see Doug reunited with his friends.

The hardest part of today, and what will take the most getting used to (no, not the crazy drivers here) is going through the check point outside Beit Jala. We have to go through a maze of security with soldiers surrounding us with machine guns each time we want to go to Jerusalem. It's intense. Miss Grace, who's been so wonderful to us, is not allowed into Jerusalem. Also, the friends of Doug I mentioned before from Jerusalem, have family in Bethlehem and Beit Jala. They told us to visit them. It's sad to think that they can never visit their family. Another wall went up to prevent Palestinians from Bethlehem and Beit Jala from going in to Jerusalem. So sad. It's bittersweet going to Jerusalem.

I'm looking forward to exploring more of Bethlehem in the upcoming days. The Church of the Nativity is first on our list. Keep praying for us, and for peace between people groups here. Love to all. (Sorry for such a long post! I'll try to keep it shorter from now on!)



3 Comments:

At 4:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

2 things: 1) why am i NOT surprised that doug already has a following of little kids? the pied piper, i'm telling you. and 2) did doug's picture on the wall of sulliman's shop by any chance have the word "WANTED" printed underneath it? just curious...anyways, love and miss you guys. don't stress about the checkpoints/guns, just pretend you're in Texas. :) xoxo, Kim

 
At 3:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So good to hear what you guys are up to! We miss you. The Sox seem to be feeling your absence as well!

 
At 10:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mando: Great to hear about your and Doug's adventures. What an amazing experience!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home