Sunday, December 09, 2007

Just Doing My Job - Doug

So some days it’s hard to see if what I’m doing makes a difference. Some days my kids are hard to handle, I get frustrated, and I wonder how I’ll make it through. Some days I’m exhausted and I feel like I a hamster running around on a wheel with little to show for my efforts. Today was not one of those days.
I took one of my students to participate in a training weekend for the Model United Nation to be held at the American International School near Tel Aviv. This student was selected to be a member of the 8th Committee which is a group of students who get together to talk about the Palestinian-Israeli conflict. It was a long day. We left Bethlehem at 7:00 in the morning and didn’t get back until 9:00 tonight. I spent a whole Sunday out there but it was worth it to hear the dialogue in which my student took part. These kids talk more passionately, are better versed in the issues at hand, and discuss problems with more respect than many of their older counterparts in the real UN.
I came back exhausted. But it’s a different kind of exhausted. When my head hits the pillow tonight (a moment which is rapidly approaching) I’ll know that I was a part of something good today. All I did was drive a kid to meeting today but I feel like I did my job today. More than I’ve ever felt in any other job I’ve ever had in my life, I feel like I did my job today. That’s a good feeling.

1 Comments:

At 1:32 AM, Blogger Kim said...

Rock on! And big ups to Oze, he's the man!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home