Friday, September 15, 2006

Things are looking brighter here

Thank you for the words of encouragement posted. It's been very tough, but like Doug and I say everyday, "It is only through the strength of Christ are we able to do this task..." He gives strength. Each and everyday. Even when my fifth grade language classes bomb and the kids lose it so that I can't hear myself think. Even when I have to walk out the door and leave them to climbing the walls (as I did yesterday). I do it knowing there will be better days ahead.

I then walked into my fourth grade classroom and discovered it quiet. At that particular moment I discovered progress. The days I received Christ's strength was paying off. All those days of questioning my abilities and calling, head banging against the whiteboard because the kids didn't even realize I was there. Days of thinking I should quit and walk out, telling my principal that I just was not cut out for the task. Those days ending somehow with me staying firm and strict to the end.

I honestly did not think it would ever get to quiet in my classroom. I wasn't expecting it to. That to me is a sign of respect. It had been loud and rowdy during supposed "work times." Not a good working environment. They were now respecting each other with quiet work time.

Then we had one more period of the day, and that went well. The children earned 10 minutes of free time outside! It was awesome to see smiling faces on our way out, including mine:-) We were successful! I just needed that one day to spur me on. I see students who want things to go well now. It's soooooo awesome.
Another verse I've been taking to heart is found in John, when Jesus talks about being the vine and we are the branches. He goes on to say, "...apart from me you can do nothing." I've discovered that in the past weeks.

Please pray my students become more independent learners and learn to appreciate each other's gifts. They are coming, but need more work in those areas. Pray that I can love one of my students who drives me absolutely bonkers. We clash all of the time.

Doug and I appreciate the prayers. We couldn't do this without all of you. Thanks.

1 Comments:

At 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Doug & Mandy,
What a privilege to read your thoughts and prayers requests while you're in Bethlehem!! It's amazing to see the progress you've made so quickly with the children. Truly God is honouring your committment. He will give you all that you need to succeed with these dear children who know so little about agape love and so little about true human love. You both are blessed to be a blessing. I'm praying for you regularly and for your families and, of course, for the children and all who are in your lives. What a thrill to hear that Miss Grace's sister has come through her surgery so well.
May our Precious Lord lift you moment by moment in His strength filling each of you with His wisdom, knowledge and discernment.
He promises to watch over you and guide you in many places in His word. My favourite is Psalms 32:8 which says:
"I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will guide you with My eye."
Love and Hugs,
Myrna (Crandall) Skaling

 

Post a Comment

<< Home